Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Heavenly Bars / Sooper Doopers / Magic Bars / Hello Dollies

1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs (crush yourself, instead of getting readymade crumbs)
1 (14 ounce) can Sweetened Condensed Milk
2 cups semisweet chocolate morsels (just use how much you like. I use 1 c. choc. chips, 1 c. butterscotch chips, ½ c. peanut butter chips)
1 cup coconut flakes
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional and any kind you like. I usually use peanuts)
And I add a sprinkling of mini marsh mellows on top

Heat oven to 350 degrees (325 degrees for glass dish). Coat 13x9-inch baking pan with no-stick cooking spray.

Combine graham cracker crumbs and butter. Press into bottom of prepared pan. Pour sweetened condensed milk evenly over crumb mixture. Then start your layers: chocolate/butterscotch/peanut butter chips, coconut, nuts, marsh mellows. Press down firmly with a fork.

Bake 25 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool. Cut into bars or diamonds. Store covered at room temperature.

I usually pour half the condensed milk over the graham crumbs and the rest over the top once the layers are complete; however, it works better as directed above so you can more easily cut into bars once baking is done and the pan has cooled. Enjoy!