Friday, October 11, 2013

Fried Rice (two recipes)

I do it one of two ways:

1) Cook rice (I use brown rice and make enough for six servings for my family). Heat a large skillet or wok on medium-high heat and add some oil (I use coconut oil or vegetable oil). Toss in diced carrot (I use one large carrot); cook for a few minutes, tossing occasionally. Add frozen peas (maybe 1/2 of a small bag). Stir in cooked rice. Make a hole in the center of the skillet by pushing all the rice and veggies to the edge and add 1-2 slightly scrambled eggs. Stir constantly as the eggs cook. Once the eggs are more solid than runny, stir all the food together, making sure the egg breaks up into smaller pieces rather than large chunks. Season with soy sauce.

2) Fry bacon, reserving a tablespoon or two of the drippings. Crumble into small pieces. add cooked rice to a skillet. Stir in bacon. Season with soy sauce.