Use the leftover meat from a roasted chicken - both white and dark - and shred or chop it. Chop and saute red peppers, green peppers, and onions; combine with meat. For her children, she omits the veggies and tosses the cooked chicken with a little chili powder, salt, and pepper instead.
Heat about 1/2" of oil in a skillet. Have ready a large paper grocery bag (or a cookie sheet) lined with paper towels for draining the flautas.
Warm corn tortillas in the microwave in a wet paper towel, or use the oven on low heat, to make the tortillas more flexible and less likely to rip.
Roll chicken up in the warmed and moistened corn tortillas. (I usually seal the edge with a little extra water, which usually works very well.) Fry a few minutes on each side in the hot oil. Drain on paper towels. Serve with guacamole, a selection of salsas, and Mexican rice.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
I often use boneless, skinless chicken breasts instead. I marinate them first with whatever recipe I happen to find online - usually some unmeasured combination of olive oil, Cajun taco seasoning, cumin, and lime juice. I marinate overnight and then bake or grill before shredding.