Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Best Turkey Ever

I am writing it down so I can do it again next year. It was the moistest I have ever had and had a hint of sweetness to it. Enjoy!

I started with a 17 1/2 pound fresh turkey. I brined it for two days with this exact recipe using apple cider and dark brown sugar: Pioneer Woman Turkey Brine Recipe
I made sure to flip the turkey half-way through so both sides were brined.

T-day morning I took the bird out of the brine and rinsed it then soaked it in cold water for 15 minutes. This removed the excess salt on the surface so the drippings wouldn't be too salty for gravy.

I basted the bird all over with melted butter. I salted and peppered it. I stuffed the cavity and surrounded it with the following: 1/2 an orange, two large sliced honey crisp apples, 1/4 onion, 3 stalks celery, a handful of baby carrots, and about 6 sprigs of fresh rosemary.

Then I layered 16 oz apple-smoked nitrate free organic bacon all over the turkey. The bacon blanket was to act as a constant baster with the fat rendering into the turkey.

I made a foil tent over the turkey (in a disposable aluminum pan) and put it in an oven preheated to 325 degrees.

After two hours I removed the foil tent and placed foil only over the wing tips and the skin where the drumsticks attach to keep them from burning.

After another hour and a half (with only one hour left to cook) I removed the bacon. I wanted the skin to crisp and brown. It did perfectly!

The bird was done and at a perfectly measured temp at 4 1/2 hours.

I made a new foil tent and let it rest for 25 minutes before carving.

THE BEST BIRD I HAVE EVER TASTED!!!! I got so many compliments from the inlaws and dh's grandparents. I would not change a single thing.